Friday, August 29, 2014

Signiture looks: Tea dress and Newsboy suit


Last year I challenged myself to create a "signature look" for my kids: something that embodied my style when sewing for my kids.  I choose to make them both Sunday clothes; a embellished dress for Miss E and a little newsboy suit for Big W.


For the dress I used See & Sew B5868.  I had purchased fabric for the dress without consulting a pattern, and I didn't have enough, so I made the skirt less full.  It works, but I think next time I'll get enough fabric to make the skirt as recommended.  I added a faux button placket down the front, framed with some vintage green lace.


For the newsboy suit, I used some fabric I had found at a thrift store.  There were several yards of this stuff, and I've still got enough to make another little boy suit.  I'll probably do that when Little A grows into this suit.  For the pants I used Simplicity 2292, omitting all the pockets.  There were curiously slim and long.  Since Big W had stubby legs and a round bum, they barely fit, and were much too long.  (I made the suit back in March, and he has grown taller since then, so the pants fit better, but the shirt and vest barely fit.)  For the vest and shirt, I used Simplicity 1923.  The shirt was one of his dad's, that I up-cycled, reusing the button placket, which saved me some steps.  I drafted my own pattern for the hat, although I'd probably alter it if attempting another hat.  It ended up a little too boxy.  I also made a new bow-tie to go with his new suit; the bow-tie was from a pattern I drafted.

2 comments:

  1. Way cute! Your little guy looks so classic! And your little girl looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete