Pattern Testing the Oliver and Brooke Polos for Sinclair Patterns

A few months ago, Sinclair Patterns asked for volunteers to test their new men's polo.  I submitted an application, and then promptly forgot about it.  I'd pattern tested once before, for a different company, and then hadn't gotten picked again when I applied for other pattern tests.  So when I was chosen as a tester a few weeks after applying, I was very surprised.  And I didn't have any fabric ready.  After calling my sister to hyperventilate, I headed over to my local JoAnn's to look for fabric.  The selection, especially for apparel knits, isn't very wide at JoAnn's, but it is on hand, and I knew that they had at least one option that would work for the polo shirt.  I took my two youngest kids with me, which is never ideal when fabric shopping, and sure enough my 4 year old was much more interested in exploring than watching Mommy hunt for fabric.

Despite that, I found some fleeced backed sweater knit that I thought my husband would like, with some Star Wars knit for an accent.  The JoAnns character knits are a good quality knit, and I'd used them in the past and had them hold up to lots of wear from my kids.  I also got some character woven for the placket.  I'd planned to do a long sleeve polo with a collar, but when I asked my husband what he'd like, he wanted a hood.  Apparently he doesn't wear hoods because he doesn't have them, not because he doesn't like them.  So he got a hood.  The Star Wars knit worked really well to line the hood.


This was the first version of the pattern, and it ended up being too short, so I added a band at the bottom and, since my husband requested it, a kangaroo pocket.  Now he has a hoodie that he really likes.



 The second version I also made with fabric from JoAnns; an athletic mesh and a coordinating quilting cotton.  I used the quilting cotton for the collar, placket, and for the binding inside the neckline.  It gives a nice finish to the inside of the neck.


The women's version was tested a month or so after the men's version.  I got an invite to help with that version, probably because I had volunteered to while testing the men's version.  This time I had already bought some athletic mesh from fabric.com, and I had some Liberty of London fabric my sister had bought me years before to use for the placket.  I also used it for the neck binding and the underside of my collar. 


But then I decided I needed something a little heavier, since the athletic mesh is very lightweight, and the pattern called for mid weight fabric.  So I ordered some Art Gallery fabric from Peek-A-Boo fabric shop, which is one of my favorite places to look for fabric online.  

The women's version also had an option for a peter pan collar, so I used that on my second polo.


And apparently I really like pink polo shirts.  I made the collar from cotton lycra knit, which was heavier than using the woven fabric, and if I don't button it up most of the way it hangs funny.  I was going to use a white woven, but then the pattern got altered during testing and I didn't have any more ready.  So I used the knit.  The pattern calls for either knit or woven for the collar, but I think I like the woven collar best.

One of the best parts of taking pictures for pattern testing is also getting some shots of my kids.  We go to a local park (because my house is not from cool field stone) and there is a lake at the park.  Here is my youngest running around in typical high energy fashion.


And here is my 4 year old, exploring nature instead of the aisles at the fabric store.



And my older two, waiting for the rest of us to catch up.



Comments