Pattern Testing the Classic Tie for Peek A Boo Patterns

I got the opportunity to test the classic necktie pattern from Peek A Boo Pattern Shop.  It's a free pattern, if you join the Facebook group for Peek A Boo Pattern Shop.  The code is in the announcements, and there are a bunch of free patterns you can get with the code.  I've used several of them and liked them.  For some of the older patterns, the instructions are on the Peek A Boo blog, and you have to hunt around to find them.  The newer patterns come with the instructions included.  Either way, they are free, and they give you a chance to try out the company before buying.

I really liked this tie pattern.  I'd made a tie before, using a different free pattern, and wasn't super happy with how it turned out.  My husband occasionally wears it, but it was bulkier than his regular ties.  The ties I made from the pattern from Peek A Boo turned out much better.


I made matching ties for my husband and our boys.  The boys were especially excited about having matching ties.  I used a quilting cotton from JoAnns for the main fabric, and was able to get all three ties from a yard of fabric.  I found the non adhesive interfacing at JoAnns as well, although it was on clearance, and slightly lighter than what the pattern called for.  The pattern recommends flannel as well, so that's what I'll probably get if the interfacing I bought runs out.


My youngest loves yellow, so he got a yellow tie.  He was actually more excited about the pineapples, and I had to bribe him to take this picture.  The tie starts at size 4.  He is 4, and the smallest size (extra small) is just a little long on him.  Not too long if his shirt is untucked, though.  The main fabric is from quilting cotton I bought years ago at JoAnns. 


My older son likes green, so I made him a green tie.  He is 6, but wears a size 8 usually.  I made him a size small, and again, its just a little long.  But he'll be able to wear it for a few years before he grows out of it.  The ties don't take too long to make, unless you make six at once (like I did) and then it takes a couple days.  I spent an entire day hand sewing them shut.  It gives a really nice finish, but it does take some time.  This tie was from quilting cotton from JoAnns as well.


My husband got a tie to match a dress I made myself last year.  Since I only had about 12 inches left of this gorgeous lavender lawn from Mood, I cut this tie straight instead of on the bias.  The pattern allows for that for directional prints, and since I didn't have enough length, I used that option. This was the only tie that I wished I had the heavier lining, since the lawn was so light.  I made my husband size large ties; I asked him and he said he didn't want extra long ties.  They are about the same length as his regular ties. 

If you want a copy of the tie pattern, its available at Peek A Boo Pattern shop.

Comments